Beauty And Purpose
With the support of her Park Springs care team, Ruth, a lifelong gardener and Member living with dementia, continues to garden, adding purpose and beauty to her days.
- Marsha, Ruth’s care partner, asks Ruth what she feels like doing this morning. She offers a few choices—gardening or working on a joint photo album. Ruth excitedly chooses to garden.
- Marsha engages Ruth as they garden, getting her views on the best mix of colors for a bed of annuals.
- Like other pursuits in the Household, gardening is an authentic and meaningful pastime.
- During these moments Marsha is not so much caring for Ruth, as caring about her.
- Ruth’s Care Team elicit responses and preferences from her, building Ruth’s day around them.
- By supporting Ruth in gardening, Marsha has contributed to Ruth’s sense of achievement.
- The Team’s energy is directed at Ruth, the person, and Member-inspired rhythms, strengths and abilities.
- The connection between the Team and the Member is authentic, with mutual respect and learning.